4 killed after shooting, police pursuit, crash

Miami-Dade police: Antonio Feliu shot, killed Viviana Gallego, Anabel Benitez, then crashed into Maritza Medina

Antonio Feliu
Antonio Feliu
Pictured: Viviana Gallego (left) and Anabel Benitez (right)
Pictured: Viviana Gallego (left) and Anabel Benitez (right)

SOUTHWEST RANCHES, Fla. – Four people were killed Wednesday morning following a shooting, a two-county police pursuit, and crash at Griffin Road and U.S. 27.

Miami-Dade police said Antonio Feliu shot two women -- Viviana Gallego and Anabel Benitez -- inside a home in the 12300 block of Southwest 190th Street about 9:30 a.m. Investigators say Feliu, 48, was in an estranged relationship with Gallego.

Gallego, 51, died at the house. Benitez, 28, was airlifted to Kendall Regional Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

"It's a shame that things like this have to happen," said neighbor Clinton Woodson.

One of the shooting victims described Feliu and his vehicle to police, helping officers find him, detectives said. A neighbor also called police and described Feliu after hearing the gunshots.

Feliu then led a police on a pursuit from Krome Avenue in Miami-Dade County to U.S. 27 in Broward County, police said. About 10 a.m., he ran the red light at Griffin Road and slammed into another Mercedes-Benz, ejecting 48-year-old Maritza Medina from her vehicle.

Watch: Video of crash (Warning: Graphic content)

A Broward Sheriff's Office sergeant and Miami-Dade police officer shielded Medina with their car, then drove her to safe area where she was pronounced dead.

"Our hearts go out to her and her family and their families," said Israel. "You know, it's just a tragic incident from beginning to end."

When officers tried approaching the SUV, at least one shot was fired, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office. Four SWAT teams were then called.

"The two most important concepts of any SWAT call or any active shooting call are isolation and containment," said Israel. "We had isolation -- the subject was in one vehicle -- and we had the vehicle contained. He wasn't going anywhere."

About an hour later, the SWAT teams broke open the back window of the SUV, then converged on it. They found Feliu dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The northbound lanes of U.S. 27 at Griffin Road remained closed at 5:30 p.m.