MIAMI – David Beckham's quest to build a Major League Soccer stadium in downtown Miami just got a little bit harder.
The city of Miami announced Monday that it is not interested in having the retired English soccer player and his investors build a stadium on what is now a deep-water boat slip and part of Museum Park.
City Manager Daniel Alfonso and Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado agreed that the site for the 20,000-seat stadium was not in the city's best interest, despite Beckham offering the city $2 million a year in rent.
Regalado said that while the city turned down the boat slip, city officials had mentioned an area near Marlins Park as a possible alternative, which had been previously discussed before.
Miami Beckham United released a statement Tuesday saying, "We respect Mayor Regalado's decision. David and our team are experiencing an incredible level of support and passion from every community in Miami to bring an MLS soccer team to this city.
"We presented a strong proposal for the site suggested to us by the two mayors. Our package was the most equitable soccer stadium proposal that Miami, or any other city in America, has ever seen -- 100 percent privately funded without any local taxpayers money. Our team will now pause and weigh alternatives.
The people of Miami deserve a team and stadium that they will be proud of for decades to come."
Mayor Carlos Gimenez also released a statement saying, in part, "I am a big supporter of bringing Major League Soccer to Miami-Dade because I know it would be successful here. However, my terms will not change: No taxpayer dollars will go towards the construction of a stadium."
"I have never seen residents oppose something so vehemently," Regalado told Local 10.
Regalado said he will do what it takes to keep Beckham in Miami.
"We just don't want Beckham to leave because, you know, he has two strikes," Regalado said.