15-year-old's fingers blown off while popping fireworks
LAUDERHILL, Fla. – A post Fourth of July dare involving fireworks morphed into a Halloween-like nightmare Sunday, with dozens of kids watching the horrific moment a 15-year-old's fingers exploded off his hand.
A mom in the neighborhood said it started as a dare -- a game of rock-paper-scissors, with the loser, Ryan Lue-Young, agreeing to hold a firework the kids called an "onion."
[WEB EXTRA: Florida Statutes on fireworks]
According to the consumer product safety commission, the most common fireworks-related injuries are to the hand and fingers. They reported that in 2013 fireworks were involved in an estimated 11,400 injuries treated in the U.S. hospital emergency departments. Sixty-five percent of those in the month surrounding the Fourth of July, and more than half were individuals younger than 20 years old.
YouTube is home to plenty of scary videos of so called "onion" fireworks explosions. If the firework was indeed the same firework that teenager was holding, it is a haunting look at the explosive force that no doubt has changed his life and the neighborhood forever.
Lue-Young's aunt said he is undergoing surgery at Broward Health Medical Center.
Watch Local 10 News and refresh Local10.com for updates on this story.
Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.