Elton Bandoo posts $500,000 bond
Family members prove money is legitimate
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – A man accused of shooting a North Miami Beach police officer during an identity theft sting is expected to be released from jail after his family members proved to a judge Tuesday that the money they want to use to post his bond was obtained through legitimate means.
Judge Jason Bloch previously ordered Bandoo be held in jail in lieu of a $500,000 bond, and said he must post one-tenth of that in cash to bond out.
On Monday, Bandoo's family provided the court with an affidavit that allows the state of Florida to put a lien on his aunt's property in the Bahamas, which she would be forced to give up if Bandoo skips out on his trial. But the judge did not accept the affidavit because it was a copy and not an original document.
Attorneys said a relative of Bandoo's flew to Miami with the original document to present to the judge Tuesday morning.
Police said Bandoo shot officer Lino Diaz as more than a dozen officers were trying to serve a warrant relating to a federal fraud investigation.
Bandoo said he thought Diaz was an intruder. Diaz has recovered from his injuries and has testified in Bandoo's ongoing bond hearing.
Last month, police confirmed that an arsenal was found inside Bandoo's home during the sting. Detectives said some of the weapons were hidden while others were in plain sight.
The arsenal included shotguns, AK-47s, magazines and bullets.
Bandoo, who has no previous criminal history, owns a music business that is registered with the state.
His attorney told Local 10 News that he expects his client to be released Wednesday morning.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter@WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.