83ºF

2 people, dog possibly poisoned by carbon monoxide

Victims found in Fort Lauderdale apartment building after suicide attempt

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Two people and a dog were found dead at an apartment building in Fort Lauderdale after they were possibly poisoned by carbon monoxide, fire-rescue officials said.

The incident was reported about 9:45 a.m. Thursday at 1010 Seminole Drive.

Officials said the victims were found after a suicide attempt on the 15th floor of the Sunrise Harbor luxury apartment building.

Residents living on floors 14 through 18 were evacuated as Fort Lauderdale's hazardous materials team monitored the air in the building.

"She came knocking on the door and said there's firefighters in the hall running around telling everybody to evacuate the building," a resident told Local 10 News reporter Terrell Forney. "She said, 'Grab your wallet, grab your keys and grab whatever you need and get out.' They said we would be out for at least an hour and a half to two hours."

Fire-rescue division chief Timothy Heiser said firefighters "did find high levels of carbon monoxide in the effective apartment and the adjacent apartments."

Seminole Drive between Sunrise Harbor and Northwest 11th Street was temporarily shut down during the investigation, and displaced residents were held in the first-floor recreation room.

Authorities said five people suffered minor symptoms from carbon monoxide exposure and are expected to be fine.

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10


About the Authors: