Crews battle fire at meat-packing business in northwest Miami-Dade
Food inside business on Northwest 72nd Street destroyed by smoke
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews worked to put out a fire at a meat-packing business Saturday.
The two-alarm fire happened at 6:47 p.m. Saturday at Seventh Avenue and Northwest 72nd Street in northwest Miami-Dade.
Four workers of the business told authorities they witnessed an electrical box smoking near a refrigerator.
Fire Rescue crews smelled the smoke and tried to find the fire. They realized the fire was located in a difficult-to-reach area between a ventilation space and insulation above the refrigerators.
Crews had to go in through the roof and then work their way into the insulation area above the refrigerators go put out the fire. Officials said the fire would have spread if firefighters had not attacked it at its origin.
It took more than 2 1/2 hours before firefighters could declare the fire was fully out. Officials said more than 75 firefighters were called to the scene.
All the food inside of the meat-packing business was destroyed by smoke. The building was saved.
No injuries were reported.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.