Live roaches found in flour at South Florida bakery
LIGHTHOUSE POINT, Fla. – State records show live roaches were found last week in the flour at America's Bakery in Lighthouse Point.
An inspector also noted a rodent running into the kitchen at Gran Chimu restaurant in Davie.
Below is a list of all the places ordered shut and some of their violations. All the places listed were allowed to reopen following ordered clean up and re inspections.
5022 N. Federal Highway
Ordered shut July 14 based on complaint
34 violations found
"Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Observed approximately 12 live roaches by 3 compartment sink, 15 live roaches under oven, 2 live roaches on top of prep table, 3 live roaches next to oven, 34 live roaches on fire extinguisher in rear prep area, 26 live roaches inside flour container, 17 live roaches by 3 compartment sink, 7 live roaches n Hobart Mixer, 1 live roach inside corn container in rear prep area, 20 live roaches inside sandwich press in utensil storage area, 2 live roaches inside clean containers in rear prep area, 1 live roach behind chest freezer in cook-line, 1 live roach inside oven in cook-line area and 2 live roaches in shelving above 3 compartment sink."
"Stop Sale issued due to adulteration of food product. For roaches contaminating the flour."
"Certified Food Manager or person in charge lacks knowledge of food borne illnesses and symptoms of illness that would prevent an employee from working with food, clean equipment and utensils, and single-service items. Reviewed Big Five and Employee health policy requirements."
***Gran Chimu Restaurant
5941 S. University Drive
Ordered shut July 14
9 violations found
"Presence of insects, rodents, or other pests. One rat ran into the kitchen and went under the grill."
"Walk-in cooler not maintained in good repair. Do not store potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food in this unit until the unit is repaired. Beef stew 50-52°, vegetable broth 50-52°, salsa 50-52°, cooked beef 50-52°, raw beef 50-52°, raw Swai fillets 45-48°."
"Dish machine not sanitizing properly. Discontinue use of dish machine for sanitizing and set up manual sanitization until dish machine is repaired and sanitizing properly. Chlorine at zero ppm."
5428 W. Atlantic Blvd.
Ordered shut July 15
15 violations found
"Rodent activity present as evidenced by 8 wet fresh rodent droppings found at dry storage rack, approximately 10 fresh wet droppings found next to ice machine, 6 fresh wet droppings found under mop sink, 4 fresh wet droppings found under food preparation table, approximately 10 fresh wet droppings found behind white Frigidaire freezer, 3 fresh wet droppings found on cook line between 6 burner stove and steam and hold."
"Accumulation of black/green mold-like substance in the interior of the ice machine. **Repeat Violation**"
***Cafe Con Kanella
33 NW 27th Ave.
Ordered shut July 15
11 violations found
"Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. As evidence of approximately 7 in mop sink room located in kitchen. As evidence of approximately 1 located between the drawers in a storage counter located in the kitchen."
"Roach excrement and/or droppings present. As evidence of approximately 100 plus between the draws and cabinets of the storage counter located in kitchen. As evidence of approximately 50 plus in the door frame of the mop sink room located in kitchen."
"Dead roaches on premises. As evidence of 1 near 3 compartment sink, approximately 5 in the cabinets of the storage counter located in the kitchen."
***Mi Peru Gourmet
1769 Miami Gardens Drive
North Miami Beach
Ordered shut July 15
26 violations found
"Roach activity present as evidenced by Approximately 50 + live roaches found on walls, floors, inside reach in cooler gaskets and in the corners underneath of three food prep tables."
"Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Walk in cooler: Lettuce 51°F tomato 50°F. Fish 51°F poultry 51°F. Calamari 50°F, reach in cooler."
"Stop Sale issued on potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food due to temperature abuse."
***Cathay Chinese Restaurant
13772 SW 152nd Street
Ordered shut July 13
25 violations found
"Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found along wall by walk-in cooler, along wall, inside and outside cooler, inside kitchen area, 60+ live roaches, location open to the public."
"Dead roaches on premises located throughout kitchen, on top of water heater, floor along cook line."
"Ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food marked with a date that exceeds 7 days after opening/preparation."
"Employee began working with food, handling clean equipment or utensils, or touching unwrapped single-service items without first washing hands."
***Nanking Asian Grill
1811 SE 17th Street
Ordered shut July 17 based on complaint
16 violations found
"Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Observed 2 live roaches on prep table in kitchen. Observed about 20 live roaches under prep table in and around drain under prep table in kitchen. Observed 2 live roaches on kitchen floor."
"Dead roaches on premises. Observed about 15 dead roaches inside Cabinet at the end of cook line, where rice cooker is stored."
"Small flying insects in bar area."
Follow Jeff Weinsier on Twitter @jweinsier
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.