Teenager loses hand, suffers eye injury in firework explosion
Javonte McNair, 13, caught firework before it exploded
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – A teenager who was injured in a fireworks accident in Fort Lauderdale has lost a hand, a family friend told Local 10 News early Thursday.
Javonte McNair, 13, underwent surgery Wednesday evening after being taken to Broward Health Medical Center with severe injuries.
Doctors were not able to save his right hand, but they were able to keep part of his wrist joint attached, family friend Traci Miller said.
McNair's left eye was also ruptured. Miller said he was transferred to Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami on Wednesday.
Relatives said McNair was riding his bicycle along Northwest Ninth Avenue in Fort Lauderdale when another kid threw him the firework. It exploded when he caught it, removing his hand from his wrist.
"His whole right hand is off, in a plastic bag," his grandmother Minnie Pearle McNair said at the scene.
Relatives said at least one other child was also hurt.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.