Jayvon Woolfork found guilty in November 2013 gang rape
Woolfork to prosecutor: 'I don't understand what you're saying'
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. – A man accused of orchestrating the gang rape of a teenage girl at his Hollywood home in November 2013 was found guilty by a jury Tuesday.
Jayvon Woolfork, 20, took the stand in his own defense earlier in the day and had to be removed from the courtroom after having an outburst shortly before the jury began deliberating.
It took jurors a little more than an hour to reach a verdict.
Woolfork, who is among four others who beat and raped a 16-year-old girl, previously rejected a plea deal from the state, offering him 15 years in prison.
He claimed the state had no evidence against him and said that he was so high on drugs that he doesn't remember what happened. But prosecutors said cellphone video shows the brutal attack.
Woolfork interrupted prosecutor Maria Schneider several times while being questioned, claiming he didn't understand what she was asking him.
"I don't understand what this lady's asking me, ma'am," Woolfork told the judge.
"You were there when...," Schneider said.
"I don't understand what you're saying right now," Woolfork said, cutting her off mid-sentence.
"What do you not understand? Whether you were there?"" Schneider asked while turning away in frustration.
"I don't understand right now," Woolfork said.
Two men and two 17-year-old girls accepted plea deals in the case and received sentences of two to four years in prison. They and the victim took the stand against Woolfork, providing contradicting stories to the jury.
"I'm very gratified for the victim in this case," Schneider told Local 10 News.
Woolfork faces up to life in prison when he is sentenced Oct. 23.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.