79ºF

2-year-old severely burned by pressure cooker in Fort Lauderdale

Girl flown to burn unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital

A child is flown to Jackson Memorial Hospital after being burned by a pressure cooker in Fort Lauderdale.
A child is flown to Jackson Memorial Hospital after being burned by a pressure cooker in Fort Lauderdale.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – A toddler was severely burned by a pressure cooker Monday night in Fort Lauderdale.

Fort Lauderdale firefighters were called to the home in the 1200 block of Southwest 24th Avenue, where they said a 2-year-old girl was burned after a pressure cooker overflowed.

Firefighters said the child suffered burns to 60 percent of her body.

Detective Tracy Figone said a family member was preparing dinner using a pressure cooker while the child was nearby. She said it appears that the girl was burned by the steam and liquid from the overflow of the pressure cooker.

The girl was taken to Broward Health Medical Center and then flown to the burn unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. Her condition has not been released.

Meanwhile, other mothers said the incident comes as a reminder about the dangers of cooking with a pressure cooker.

"I feel like I need to be a little more careful because I take it for granted that my kids have never really come close to the pressure cooker and been afraid of it," Veronica Owen said. "But you just always have to watch them, and you have to make sure you're keeping an eye on what's on the stove."

Here are some safety tips when using a pressure cooker:

-Check equipment/read instructions

-Don't overfill cooker

-Use enough liquid for recipe

-Clean equipment properly/replace parts that may have worn over time

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10


About the Author: