wplg logo

14 displaced by Lauderhill house fire

Duplex was not equipped with working smoke detectors

LAUDERHILL, Fla. – Fourteen people were displaced by a fire that sparked inside a Lauderhill duplex early Saturday morning.

According to Capt. Jerry Gonzalez of Lauderhill Fire Rescue, crews were called to the home in the 1900 block of Northwest 60th Avenue around 5:30 a.m.

A woman had just returned home when she noticed smoke and flames in the kitchen. She managed to wake up the other residents and get everyone to safety. 

"This could've been a whole lot worse if she hadn't shown up at that moment when she did," Gonzalez said.

The home did not have any working smoke detectors.

Twelve people lived inside one of the rental units. The Red Cross is assisting all of them, as well as the two who lived in the other part of the home.

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10