Baby with 'flakka' in his system dies 1 hour after birth in Fort Lauderdale
Flakka found in baby's blood, heart, umbilical cord
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – A baby boy who died an hour after being born was found to have the drug known as "flakka" in his blood, heart and umbilical cord, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office report.
Deputies said it's the first baby they've seen born with the drug in his system.
An investigation began July 3 after deputies received a call about a death at a home at 2860 NW 15th Street.
The baby's grandmother, Evelyn Barnes, told investigators that her daughter, Laqueseisa Mosley, also the baby's mother, had a history of mental illness, including paranoia, schizophrenia and bipolar disorders for which she was taking no medication.
Barnes told deputies she left the house for about five minutes. At that time, her daughter had not delivered the baby. But when she came back, Mosley was holding the baby in the blanket, with the umbilical cord still attached to both of them.
According to Barnes, the baby was moving and breathing at that time, so she took her daughter back in the house and called 911.
Deputies at the scene said there was no sign of foul play inside the home.
The emergency room physician who attended to the baby, who was nine weeks premature, told deputies that the child had no signs of trauma and there was no suspicious activity to the body.
According to the report, results of an Aug. 12 postmortem examination showed the baby's cause of death as prematurity and alpha PVP, also known as flakka, toxicity. The medical examiner's office listed the manner of death to be accidental.
Deputies said the death was classified as accidental and deemed pending inactive.
According to Barnes, Mosley has four older children who were taken away by the Department of Children and Families due to her history.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.