Video shows Sunny Isles Beach high-rise condo explosion
Victims hurt by blast, debris after explosion at Chateau Beach Residences
SUNNY ISLES BEACH, Fla. – A video has been released that shows the moment a gas leak caused an explosion in the boiler room of a penthouse at a Sunny Isles Beach high-rise building.
The video (shown above) that was obtained by the Sunny Isles Beach Police Department shows the explosion happening around 16 seconds into the video in one of the buildings in the center-right of the frame.
The Sunny Isles Beach Building Department issued a stop work citation at the Chateau Beach Residences after the explosion.
According to the citation issued, "the purging of (the) gas piping system was not performed in compliance with the 2010 fuel gas code."
The citation also stated that the "fuel gas was vented into a confined space with sources of ignition. Precautions were not taken to safely purge gas piping."
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said that the gas leak at the high-rise building at 17475 Collins Ave. was sparked by an unknown ignition source.
Debris from the blast injured guests at the adjacent Travelodge Monaco Beach Resort. That hotel remained closed Monday, and all guests were moved to another hotel a few block north.
Six people were hurt in the incident, including two firefighters who were helping with the rescue effort.
Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10
Copyright 2015 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.