Boy suffers hand injury from firework in Opa-locka
Boy taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital Ryder Trauma Center
OPA-LOCKA, Fla. – A child has been taken to a hospital after suffering a hand injury from a firework, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials said.
The incident happened Friday afternoon in the 2300 block of Atlantic Avenue in Opa-locka.
Family members identified the boy as Davonte McMillian, 9. They said Davonte and others found some type of firework and the fuse was too short. When someone lit it, it exploded and took nearly all of Davonte's hand.
Opa-locka police said the boy was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital Ryder Trauma Center.
Another person, who is 15 years old, was hurt and taken to a hospital, Local 10 News has learned from family members.
Watch Local 10 News and refresh Local10.com for updates on this story.
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.