81ºF

Lawsuit filed after e-cigarette explodes in man's face

Naples man sues manufacturer, retailer of e-cigarette that left him badly burned

Evan Spahlinger, pictured here in his hospital bed at Kendall Regional Medical Center, was badly burned after an electronic cigarette exploded in his face.
Evan Spahlinger, pictured here in his hospital bed at Kendall Regional Medical Center, was badly burned after an electronic cigarette exploded in his face.

MIAMI – A southwest Florida man who was hospitalized last year after an electronic cigarette exploded in his face is now suing the retailer and manufacturer.

Attorneys for Evan Spahlinger filed the lawsuit in Miami-Dade County court this week.

Spahlinger was badly burned in October after the e-cigarette he was inhaling exploded in his face at his Naples home.

The lawsuit seeks in excess of $15,000 in damages from Vaping American Made Products and the Vaping Station in Naples, where Spahlinger purchased the e-cigarette.

According to the lawsuit, Vaping American Made Products failed to warn of the dangers associated with the use of its e-cigarette. The lawsuit also claims that the Vaping Station sold "a defective product that is unreasonably dangerous."

Spahlinger was treated for his burns at Kendall Regional Medical Center, where he was confined to a ventilator for a week. The lawsuit claims that Spahlinger "has in the past undergone and will in the future undergo painful and extensive medical care and treatment."

The lawsuit seeks a trial jury.