MIAMI – Students have been allowed back inside Florida International University's College of Engineering after it was evacuated Wednesday afternoon after authorities received reports of smoke inside the building.
Sky 10 was above the scene at 10555 W. Flagler St. just before 3:30 p.m. as students gathered outside the building while firefighters assessed the situation.
No smoke could be seen coming from the building.
FIU spokeswoman Dianne Fernandez said the scene was clear just before 4 p.m.
FIU police tweeted a photo of two students holding a charred extension cord after the incident, saying "Thanks to these two students a potential catastrophe was prevented! All is safe at the Engineering Center!"
No injuries were reported.