6-year-old struck by Miami police car released from hospital
Police say officer didn't see boy on scooter
MIAMI – A 6-year-old boy who was struck by a Miami police car earlier this month was released from Holtz Children's Hospital on Friday.
"What are you going to do when you get home?" Local 10 News reporter Erica Rakow asked Antoine Lawson as he left the hospital in a wheelchair.
"Play," he said.
Antoine suffered a few broken bones and other injuries in the Feb. 3 crash.
According to police, Antoine was riding a scooter on Northwest Fifth Avenue, just west of Northwest 58th Street, when he suddenly appeared from between two parked trucks, making it impossible for the officer to see the boy before striking him.
Antoine was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center in stable condition.
"He told me that he looked both ways (and) he didn't see a car as he proceeded to cross the street. He just heard a loud engine. That was it," Antoine's mother, Janet Martinez, said.
Martinez and family said the officer was speeding, but Miami police Maj. Delrish Moss told reporters that speed does not appear to be a factor in the crash.
The incident remains under investigation.
Meanwhile, Antoine, who has spend three weeks in the hospital said he is eager to head home.
"What was it like staying here?" Rakow asked.
"Boring," he said.
"He's been wanting to go home since the first day he got here," Martinez added.
Antoine remains in a full body cast with a broken pelvis, so while he won't be able to get back on his scooter right away, he said he is looking forward to playing his video games.
Martinez said Miami police have not reached out to her, but said her main focus is her son's recovery.
"I just want him to recover. That's my main focus," Martinez said. "Everything else will fall into place."
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.