Marco Rubio returns home to West Miami with uncertain future
Florida senator 'not doing TV' morning after suspending presidential campaign
WEST MIAMI, Fla. – One day after suspending his campaign for president, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, had nothing to say to Local 10 News as he returned home after taking his children to school Wednesday morning.
"Hey, guys, I'm not doing any TV today," Rubio told Local 10 News reporter Ben Kennedy after stepping out of his pickup truck outside his West Miami home. "Thanks for coming out."
Rubio ended his White House bid after Tuesday's loss to Republican front-runner Donald Trump in Florida's presidential primary election.
"While it is not God's plan that I be president in 2016 or maybe ever, and while today my campaign is suspended, the fact that I've even come this far is evidence of how special America truly is," Rubio told his supporters Tuesday night at Florida International University.
Rubio's decision to drop out of the race was prompted by losses in all but three of the Republican presidential primary contests, but Florida's winner-take-all primary proved the most devastating.
The freshman senator dedicated almost all of his energy and resources during the final week of his campaign to winning Florida. Instead, Rubio was a distant second to Trump in his home state.
"I blame most of it on our political establishment -- a political establishment that for far too long has looked down at conservatives, looked down at conservatives as simple-minded people," Rubio said Tuesday night.
Rubio said last week that he had no plans beyond seeking the presidency, but only time will tell what the future holds for the one-time darling of the Republican Party.
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.