79ºF

Hoverboard explodes inside Fort Lauderdale home

Explosion damages wooden floors, couch

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Fort Lauderdale firefighters were called to a home Friday morning after a hoverboard exploded.

The incident was reported at a home in the 200 block of Delaware Avenue.

"It was an explosion and I was like the roof is coming down or something," Kaudrica Hunter said. "I never once thought it was the hoverboard."

Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue posted a video of the scorched hoverboard on Twitter, which showed a charger lying nearby on the floor.

"My son said that he heard a spark and then that's when the explosion came," Hunter said.

Hunter said the hoverboard had been sitting in place for several days. She said it was not connected to the charger when it exploded.

A couch and the wooden floor on which the hoverboard was lying were damaged in the explosion.

Firefighters said the flames were already extinguished by the time they arrived.

Rodney Davis told Local 10 News that he didn't have time to process what was happening and just wanted to douse the flames.

"Get rid of them," he said about hoverboards. "Throw them away. (Children) don't need them."

No injuries were reported.

South Florida hospitals reported a spike in hoverboard-related injuries over the holidays.

Attorney Norm Kent told Local 10 News in January that he expected a spate of hoverboard-related lawsuits.

However, it may be next to impossible to track down manufacturers, because many hoverboards are made overseas in places like China, and there's no identifying information on boxes.

Some don't even have the name of a company, but Kent said that even without a manufacturer, those who are injured may have recourse.

"If (you can't hold) the manufacturer liable, you can hold the distributor liable," Kent said.

#FLFR hoverboard explosion 290 Deleware Ave @UrgentNews911 @SunSentinel @WPLGLocal10 @wsvn @nbc6 @CBS12 @WPTV pic.twitter.com/CPHn4lQdAD

— FLFR PIO (@FtLaudFire) April 15, 2016


About the Authors: