ORLANDO, Fla. – The parents of a 2-year-old boy who was snatched by an alligator last month at a Walt Disney World resort in Orlando said they have no plans to file a lawsuit against Disney.
"Melissa and I are broken. We will forever struggle to comprehend why this happened to our sweet baby, Lane," Matt and Melissa Graves said in a statement Wednesday. "As each day passes, the pain gets worse, but we truly appreciate the outpouring of sympathy and warm sentiments we have received from around the world.
"We know that we can never have Lane back, and therefore, we intend to keep his spirit alive through the Lane Thomas Foundation. It is our hope that through the foundation we will be able to share with others the unimaginable love Lane etched in our hearts.
"In addition to the foundation, we will solely be focused on the future health of our family and will not be pursuing a lawsuit against Disney. For now, we continue to ask for privacy as we focus on our family."
Police said Lane was pulled into the Seven Seas Lagoon about 9:30 p.m. June 14 by an alligator while he and his family were at the sandy waterfront of the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa for movie night.
Orange County Sheriff's Office spokesman Jeff Williamson said the boy was at the edge of the lake, probably about a foot or two into the water, when the alligator attacked.
According to emails from the Reedy Creek Fire Department, Matt Graves said he was attacked by a second alligator as he tried to grab his son back from the gator.
Lane's body was recovered intact the next day about 15 yards from shore, 6 feet underwater.
Five alligators were killed after being pulled from the lake.