Tank carrying 1,000 gallons of ammonia leaks at food facility
1 worker sent to hospital for treatment
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – A tank carrying 1,000 gallons of ammonia leaked Monday night at the Crystal Valley Food facility, which refrigerates vegetables and fruits, the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue reports.
"We had about 20 units from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, of those six were hazmat teams," Lt. Alvaro Tonanez of Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Hazmat team, said. "The initial team stabilized the scene."
The hazmat team said some 100 workers were exposed to the ammonia, and one person was taken to an area hospital for treatment.
The concentrate of ammonia, while strong, was below levels that would have put anyone in danger,
"The smell was strong," a worker named Claudio said. "We evacuated fast."
The business is located in the 2900 block of Northwest 74th Avenue, an area that is made up of warehouses just west of Miami International Airport.
"If you're sweating, you would feel it on your skin," Tonanez said. "That is the good thing about ammonia because it does start reacting pretty quick with your sweat. It lets you know 'Hey, I don't want to be in this environment.'"
Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.