62ºF

South Florida caterer offers to help bride-to-be whose vendor allegedly went MIA

Yvette Vidal says previous caterer took off with $3,200

HIALEAH, Fla. – Since Local 10 News aired a story of a bride-to-be who hasn't been able to get a hold of the caterer she entrusted with thousands of dollars, other brides have come forward to say that they were victimized by the same caterer.

"I'm very taken back and it hasn't hit me yet," Yvette Vidal said.

Vidal claimed the caterer she hired earlier this year ran off with the $3,200 she paid him and stopped returning her phone calls.

But after the story aired on Local 10, Richard Pereyra called Vidal back.

"(He said) that he can't afford it. What is he supposed to do?" Vidal said.

Pereyra talked to Local 10 News reporter Hatzel Vela on the phone as well, claiming the whole thing is just a misunderstanding.

But customer comments on several websites tell a different story. Records also show that Pereyra was arrested in 2015.

According to an arrest report, the caterer emptied out a box at a restaurant depot in Medley and stuffed it with sealed packages of beef and fish worth more than $4,000.

As for Vidal, several caterers have reached out to offer to help her on her big day free of charge.

The 32 year old was once a teacher, but had to give it up because she suffers from an aggressive form of multiple sclerosis. 

Vidal met with Jose and Raquel Salcedo, owners of Exquisite Productions, on Tuesday who have offered to help her.

The two have been in the catering business since 1989 and offered to help any way possible.

"The wedding is the happiest day of your life," Raquel Salcedo said. "One of the happiest days and to have this nightmare. To me, it broke my heart."

Jose Salcedo, who is legally blind, said he connected with Vidal's story and had to help.

"When it happens to somebody like you, you need to come and help and luckily, I'm in a place where I can do that," he said.


About the Author: