8-year-old girl survives car accident, shot to death moments later


HOUSTON – An 8-year-old Texas girl was shot to death just moments after surviving a car accident.

Latoyia Thomas said she was on her way back to her Houston home from getting her hair done Saturday with her daughter De'Maree in the back seat when a senseless act took her life.

At 2 a.m., police were called to the intersection of West Fuqua Street and Sam Houston Parkway.

Officials said a white Pontiac Grand Prix and a dark four-door sedan were speeding down West Fuqua Street.

The speeding Pontiac collided into a Honda Accord carrying Thomas and her 8-year-old daughter De'Maree Adkins, who were traveling through the intersection of the Sam Houston Parkway feeder and Fuqua Street, according to authorities.

"The light was green, and as soon as I got to the light it turned yellow, I couldn't stop," Thomas said.

After the crash, Thomas said the driver from the Pontiac she had crashed into hopped into the four-door sedan.

She said the four-door sedan then pulled up next to her car, rolled down their window and a woman leaned out with a gun and began shooting at Thomas and her daughter.

"I saw the girl let the window down and point the gun out the window, and she just started shooting," Thomas said.

Police said Adkins, who was sitting in the back seat of the Honda, was hit and killed by the shots fired.

"She was a good girl, honor roll student, full of life. They took my baby away from me, why?" Thomas said. "She didn't deserve this. She didn't. She was only 8."

According to police, the driver of the Pontiac jumped into the four-door sedan and fled the scene.

Police said they are searching for the dark four-door sedan and the driver of the Pontiac.

"Whoever you are, lady, justice will be served. They will get you," Thomas said.

Adkins enjoyed keeping her grandfather, Melvin Jarmon, in line.

"She was my boss," Jarmon said. "I called her the boss. She knew it."

She also knew never to forget about her big cousin, Victoria Jarmon.

"I would do anything for her. She really meant the world to me," Victoria Jarmon said. "Before the accident, she FaceTimed me, and she told me that she loved me."

A GoFundMe account has been made for Adkins.