Woman burned after pressure cooker explodes at Miami Gardens home
Victim flown to Jackson Memorial Hospital
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – A woman suffered burns to part of her body Tuesday after a pressure cooker exploded at a home in Miami Gardens.
The incident was reported in the 18300 block of Northwest 44th Place.
Local 10 News photojournalist Bob Palumbo was at Jackson Memorial Hospital as the woman arrived via helicopter.
A relative said the woman was cooking rice and beans when the pressure cooker exploded.
"When I got there, she was bandaged," the relative said.
Neighbors told Local 10 News that they heard the woman screaming outside her home.
Maria King said she called for help and helped her neighbor soothe her wounds.
"The lady was screaming in the street," King said. "We got water and I put ice (on her)."
Relatives said the victim is a 37-year-old mother. She remained at the hospital Wednesday in good condition.
Similar incidents have been reported in recent years in South Florida, including in 2015 when doctors were forced to amputate a 2-year-old girl's leg after she was burned on 60 percent of her body.
The woman who was burned in Tuesday's incident is expected to recover.
Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.