83ºF

Teen girl electrocuted after bringing cell phone into bathtub

photo

LUBBOCK, Texas – A family is in mourning after a teen girl died from electrocution after accidentally bringing her plugged-in cell phone into the bathtub.

KCBD reports Madison Coe, 14, was taking a bath Sunday when she either plugged in her phone or grabbed the phone that was already plugged-in.

The accident took place at her father's home in Lovington, New Mexico.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened," Coe's grandmother, Donna O'Guinn, told the station. 

The family has taken to Facebook to make sure the tragedy that took Madison never happens again. The post focuses on sharing the dangers of electricity.

"It’s overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult. We don’t want to lose anybody," O'Guinn said. 

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family cover medical and memorial costs.