85ºF

Apartment fire in Deerfield Beach displaces 2 families

Oil inside an unattended frying pan caused blaze, firefighters say

photo

DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla.

A fire Tuesday at an apartment complex in Deerfield Beach severely damaged one unit and displaced two families.

 

Battalion Chief Michael Kane, a spokesman for Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue, said no one was hurt in the blaze, which started about 8 p.m. in a second-story apartment.

 

Firefighters arrived at the Waters Edge complex in the 600 block of Cypress Lake Boulevard and saw heavy smoke and flames erupting from a second-story window, Kane said. The firefighters quickly brought the fire under control.

 

Kane said the fire started when cooling oil in an unattended frying pan ignited. The fire caused extensive damage to the apartment's kitchen, he said. 

 

The family living in the apartment in which the fire broke out and the family the apartment below it were forced to leave after the blaze, Kane said.

 

Both families said they would stay with friends or relatives while the damage was repaired, Kane said.