Suspect caught after leading deputies on chase, crashing car on I-95

Driver runs into wooded area of Dania Beach after crash

DANIA BEACH, Fla. – Deputies have apprehended a suspect who led authorities on a chase Wednesday morning on Interstate 95 before crashing the car in Dania Beach and bailing out.

According to an arrest report, the Broward Sheriff's Office received a 911 call about a man, later identified as Harveltz Bert Beaubrun, 23, beating a woman and forcing her into a white Mustang at 2700 Oakland Forest Drive in Oakland Park.

A Broward Sheriff's Office helicopter and deputies could be seen searching for the driver who crashed the car on I-95 and took off running into a wooded area just west of the highway.

Harveltz Bert Beaubrun, 23, is accused of beating a woman before leading deputies on a high-speed chase.
Harveltz Bert Beaubrun, 23, is accused of beating a woman before leading deputies on a high-speed chase.

Authorities said Beaubrun had been driving at 100 mph during the chase and was switching lanes, causing other drivers to slam on their brakes.

According to the arrest report, Beaubrun rear-ended an SUV before jumping out of his moving car. 

Authorities said the woman involved in the initial incident was inside the car during the chase and crash. 

A view from Sky 10 showed the crashed car on the shoulder of I-95 near Griffin Road.


One woman inside the SUV was apparently injured during the pursuit. She was placed on a stretcher and put into the back of an ambulance.

Authorities said Beaubrun had jumped into a lake while trying to flee from deputies, but he was eventually caught behind a hotel near the Tri-Rail station off Griffin Road.

Beaubrun faces charges of resisting an officer without violence, felony probation violation and fleeing and eluding police.

In 2015, Beaubrun pled no contest to manslaughter charges after shooting his 18 year old girlfriend, Lakendra Jones, in the chest and killing her. He was sentenced to just four years jail and two years probation.

In 2008, Beaubrun, then 12, beat his toddler cousin to death with a wooden baseball bat, but was not charged as an adult and received probation and counseling. 

About the Authors: