LAKE PARK, Fla. - A South Florida man was arrested last week after he overdosed while driving with an 11-year-old girl in the car, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.
David Reitz, 28, of Loxahatchee, was passed out behind the wheel of the car Friday in Lake Park when deputies and paramedics arrived, Deputy Crosby Mays wrote in the arrest report.
More Crime Headlines
- Father accused of drunken tirade at Disney World, letting child get sunburned
- Hialeah man accused of drunken driving with 3 children in car
- Child porn suspect found watching children at beach splash pad, deputies say
- Pembroke Pines woman arrested after burning child's chest with hot iron,…
- South Florida woman falls asleep in car with children in back seat, police say
The girl told Mays that she and Reitz had just left the Dollar Store in Riviera Beach when they stopped at a house near Silver Beach Road. She said Reitz went inside for about 30 minutes while she waited in the car.
When he returned, Reitz "appeared drunk and was stumbling on his feet and fell into the car," the report said.
The girl told Mays she was scared to be riding with Reitz because he was swerving all over the road and falling asleep while driving. She told Reitz to pull over, and she called 911 on her cellphone after he passed out.
Palm Beach County Fire Rescue paramedics administered four doses of Narcan on Reitz and took him to Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center. Reitz was arrested on one count of child neglect after being released from the hospital.
Mays said paramedics found a plastic bag containing heroin capsules in the center console of the car. The deputy said Reitz denied drinking any alcohol, but he admitted to overdosing.
Reitz was released from jail the next day on a $3,000 bond.
Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.