Deep-frying 'tamales' prompts carbon monoxide poisoning in Kendall

Firefighters say cooking mishap left 6 sick

By Sanela Sabovic - Reporter , Andrea Torres - Digital Reporter/Producer

KENDALL, Fla. - Miami-Dade firefighters evacuated an area of an apartment building in Kendall Thursday for about two hours after they detected high levels of carbon monoxide. 

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Felipe Lay said the carbon monoxide was coming from an apartment at 15221 SW 80 St. The family was deep-frying "tamales." 

Firefighters said the family was using the deep-fryer on Wednesday night, and woke up feeling sick. A child and an adult were treated at the apartment complex and four adults required hospitalization. They were in stable condition. 

Lay wanted residents to remember that anything that is portable and uses a propane tank needs to be used outdoors. He said cooking on a balcony puts residents at the apartment and the apartment above at risk. 

Here is a list of safety tips: 

1. Keep children and pets away from the fryer.

2. Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

3. Do not use a deep fryer indoors. 

4. Don’t leave the fryer unattended. 

5. Make sure the fryer is completely turned off and that it is cool before leaving it unattended.

Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.