Detective stabbed by felon released from hospital

Victim, Jaime Pardinas, may return to South Florida soon

DALLAS - The convicted sex offender who stabbed a Miami-Dade County police detective in Texas has been killed, and the officer who was stabbed has been released.

According to the Southlake, Texas police department, Alberto Morales was shot and killed by law enforcement Friday night.

The department posted a statement on its Facebook page, saying "Shortly before midnight, and acting on information received by a local resident, police responded to an area near Lake Grapevine. Police officers located the fugitive and a foot pursuit ensued. As a result of the fugitives actions he was shot and killed by officers. More information will be provided by the Grapevine Police Department."

Miami-Dade police said Pardinas was released from the hospital on Saturday and continues to recover. Pardinas said he is grateful for all of the care and concern from the community.

Cintia Shand said she was elated to hear her baby brother's voice on Saturday.

"My first words to him already were, 'You gave us a big scare,' said Shand. "He apologized, he laughed and said 'I'm sorry.' The first 24 hours were really, very, very hard."

Officials released the 911 call made by Pardinas earlier this week:

Pardinas: "I've been stabbed in the neck."

Dispatcher: "Stabbed in the neck."

Pardinas: "The subject is 5-foot 7-inches, 165 pounds, white (inaudible) male, named Alberto Morales."

LISTEN: Pardinas' 911 call (Warning: Contains graphic content) | 911 call |

"He's really a hero," said Shand. "Just to have heard that 911 tape just showed his presence of mind to be calm, even though he was injured."

Pardinas was rushed to a Dallas hospital after Monday's attack in a Grapevine, Texas Wal-Mart parking lot. The other Miami-Dade detective traveling by car with them was not hurt.

"This man was mentally ill," said Shand.

For a week, several law enforcement agencies staged a manhunt for the fugitive. Morales, 42, was on his way to Nevada to serve a 30-years-to-life sentence after being convicted of sexual assault.

--Alberto Morales

Public records show Morales has charges dating back to 1994.

A $20,000 reward was being offered for any information that led to Morales' capture. Early Saturday, police told Local 10 they caught up with Morales after not responding to commands and lunging at officers. That's when police shot and killed him.

"It's really sad that it went down the way it did, but it's a big relief for everyone," said Shand.

Shand's brother is now out of a Dallas hospital with his daughter by his side. While still dealing with a collapsed lung, Shand told Local 10's Christina Vazquez that Pardinas is looking forward to coming home in South Florida.

"Thank God for us it has a happy ending," said Shand.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.