MIAMI - A South Florida firefighter who was burned over 50 percent of his body five months ago was released from the hospital Friday ... just in time for Mother's Day.
"I'm just overwhelmed," said Jahwann McIntyre before praising his doctors for helping him get to where he is today.
"They worked hard, extremely hard," he said. "They never gave up on me, even when I wanted to give up on myself.
McIntyre was brought to Jackson Memorial Hospital after the Martin County firefighter suffered burns and inhalation injuries fighting a house fire in Stuart on Dec. 27th.
McIntyre and two other firefighters were inside fighting the blaze, but smoke blinded him, he fell and was trapped.
"When I fell again, one of my coworkers heard the fall and was able to grab me," he said.
During ordeal, McIntyre says he turned to his mother to find the strength to survive.
"I thought I was done," he said. "But my mom crossed my mind and it gave me strength and courage to get up."
"This is the best Mother's Day present that I could ever ask for is to have my son home," said Doris McIntyre.
So what are the McIntyres planning for Mother's Day?
"A big celebration, and a home-cooked meal that he's been missing," Doris said.
The road to recovery for the injured firefighter will continue at home with a single goal in mind.
"I just have to put in the work in rehab now to get back to my dream job," McIntyre said. "And that's being a firefighter."
Copyright 2013 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.