SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico. - The Federal Emergency Management Agency said it is not cutting off food and water supplies to Puerto Rico despite reports that it intended to do so.
FEMA spokesman William Booher told The Associated Press that the agency had been evaluating whether enough stores and supermarkets had reopened by Jan. 31 to justify ending distribution of food and water to municipal governments on the island. He said that decision had not actually been taken but officials mistakenly made the date public this week.
More Puerto Rico Headlines
- FEMA ending food and water shipments to Puerto Rico, official says
- Puerto Rican man runs Miami's half-marathon backwards
- Nearly half a million in Puerto Rico still in the dark 4 months after…
- Puerto Rico governor announces privatization of power utility
- Puerto Rico's review of hurricane deaths raises new questions
Booher said FEMA is in the process of winding down food and water distribution as stores and markets come back online, but will continue to distribute aid to needy towns for the foreseeable future.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.