MIAMI - Residents returned to their apartments Thursday night after a gas leak was discovered on the sidewalk area in front of the complex.
Miami Fire Rescue crews were dispatched to 6312 Northwest 12th Ave. after reports of a strong smell of gas coming from several apartments.
A hazardous materials team arrived and determined the level of gas was too dangerous for residents to remain in their homes, officials said.
Firefighters and Miami police officers began evacuating the apartments until TECO Gas Company arrived.
TECO Gas located the leak on the sidewalk area in front of the apartments. Authorities said the gas leak was stopped and crews are now working to get to where the break in the pipe is and repair it.
The residents were allowed back into their homes because authorities believed the danger had passed.
Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.