Miramar man survives venomous coral snake bite

Retired paramedic recovering in hospital

MIRAMAR, Fla. - A Miramar man survived a bite from a coral snake. The bite can often be fatal, but he managed to pull through.

When Bob Houghson's air conditioning unit began making a funny noise, he didn't think twice about walking outside his home barefoot.

"I felt a horrible burning on my leg. I saw it chewing. It was stuck against me, very painful," Houghson said.

Houghson, a retired paramedic, kept his cool and called 911 even though he knew he was looking at a venomous coral snake.

Houghson is still recovering at Memorial Regional Hospital with a swollen tongue and numb legs. He was treated with with ten viles of anti-venom.

Coral snake bites can be deadly if not treated immediately.

"This hospital, I'll never forget them. They saved my life," Houghson said.

Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.