(CNN) - A 16-year-old boy is in custody after four people, including his parents and sister, were shot to death in a Long Branch, New Jersey, home on New Year's Eve, authorities said Monday.
Officers responded to a 911 call about shots fired at the home about 15 minutes before midnight on Sunday, according to a news release from Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office.
- Police call for tips in 'horrific' quadruple homicide
- Chicago police tout 14% homicide drop, concede there's more to do
- Chicago police count fewer murders in 2017, but still 650 people were killed
- Two arrested in 'horrific' quadruple upstate New York murders
- New York City on pace to record lowest murder tally in decades
- Boys charged with murder after sandbag from overpass kills man
The bodies of 42-year-old Linda Kologi, 44-year-old Steven Kologi, 18-year-old Brittany Kologi and Mary Schultz, a 70-year-old friend who lived with the family, were found inside.
Authorities said the teen -- who they did not immediately name -- was taken into custody without incident. It's unclear whether anyone else was in the house at the time of the shooting.
Investigators believe a "Century Arms semiautomatic rifle" was used in the deadly shooting, according to the new release.
The circumstances surrounding the killings -- including the motive -- are unclear.
Copyright 2018 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.