WASHINGTON - Rich Products Corporation is recalling approximately 196,222 pounds of frozen chicken quesadilla and various other heat treated, not fully cooked frozen mini meals and snack items because they may be contaminated with E. coli.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service made the announcement Thursday, saying the products made by the Buffalo, NY firm may be contaminated with E. coli O121.
FSIS said it was notified of a multi-state investigation of E. coli O121 illnesses on March 19, 2013. Food samples were collected from an ill individual in New York as part of this investigation, and tested by the New York State Department of Health Wadsworth Laboratory.
At present, FSIS said the cluster includes 24 cases in 15 states. A sample of a Farm Rich frozen chicken mini quesadilla product from a New York case tested positive for the outbreak strain of E. coli O121.
The following products are subject to the FSIS recall:
- 7.2-oz. cartons of Farm Rich mini pizza slices with cheese pepperoni and sauce in pizza dough, UPC code 041322376909 with a best by date of May 15 or May 16, 2014.
- 22-oz. cartons of Farm Rich mini pizza slices with cheese pepperoni and sauce in pizza dough, UPC code 041322356437 with a best by date of May 15 or May 16, 2014.
- 18-oz. bags of Farm Rich mini quesadillas with cheese, grilled white meat chicken in a crispy crust, UPC code 041322356352 with a best by date of May 14, 2014.
- 21-oz. bags of Farm Rich Philly cheese steaks with cheese, beef & onions in a crispy crust, UPC code 041322356345 with a best by date of May 13, 2014.
In addition, the following products, which fall under FDA jurisdiction, are also being recalled. FSIS is issuing this news release to make the public aware that these products are also considered potentially adulterated and should be properly discarded or destroyed.
- 22-oz. cartons of Farm Rich mozzarella bites in a pizzeria style crust, UPC code 041322374431 with a best by date of May 19, 2014.
- 7-oz. cartons of Farm Rich mozzarella bites in a pizzeria style crust, UPC code 041322376916 with a best by date of May 19, 2014.
- 22-oz. bags of Market Day Mozzarella Bites, UPC code 041322804358 with a best by date of May 12, 2014.
FSIS said each product package above contains the establishment number "EST. 27232" or "P-27232" inside the USDA mark of inspection.
The products subject to recall were produced between Nov. 12, 2012 and Nov. 19, 2012 then distributed for retail sale nationwide. FSIS and the establishment are concerned that some product may be present in household freezers.
Consumers with questions regarding the recall should contact the company's consumer line at 888-220-5955 from 8 am to 8 pm Monday through Friday, or visit the company website at www.farmrich.com.
Copyright 2013 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.