Police: Video shows missing woman made it to community

Woman missing since March 31

MIRAMAR, Fla. - Police have released new evidence showing what are believed to be the last images of Vilet Torrez before she disappeared more than two months ago.

What happened to her in the minutes after she was captured on the surveillance video is a mystery that detectives and her three children want solved. 

Surveillance video from the town home complex where Torrez lives with her three children show the 38-year-old mother of three arriving home at 5:16 a.m. Saturday, March 31, after a night out with a male co-worker in Miami.

Her key card into the gated complex didn't work, so she backed up her silver Toyota Sienna and pulled into to the visitors' entrance, where she punched a special code to get in. 

Detectives said the video proves Torrez made it home that night where her estranged husband, Cid Torrez, was staying with their three kids.

"We see her coming in to the complex, but do detectives believe she actually made it into the house?" Local 10's Roger Lohse asked Miramar police spokeswoman Tania Rues.

"That is the big question," Rues replied.

Miramar police have named Cid Torrez a person of interest in his wife's disappearance, though they're tight-lipped as to why. But, Local 10 has learned it is, in part, because he was the last person she called minutes after arriving home that night. Vilet Torrez's phone records, obtained by Local 10, show she called her husband twice at 5:19 a.m., two one-minute calls. Detectives believe a security latch on the front door was locked and Vilet Torrez needed someone on the inside to open it so she could get in.

"She made it home," said Vilet Torrez's brother, Javier Blanco. "She called him because she couldn't get into her house. I think she called her murderer that night."

Blanco believes his sister died at the hands of her jealous, estranged husband.

Cid Torrez is not charged with any crime. Police won't comment on whether they believe he answered his wife's phone calls that morning but acknowledged the phone records are a crucial piece of evidence in the case.

"For the record, these are not phone calls or records that we have released, but since you have them, we will say that we believe that she (got) into the community and for whatever reason may have had trouble getting into her town home, and possibly that is why she made those phone calls to her husband, who has admitted to having spent that night there with the kids," Rues said.

Lohse spoke to Cid Torrez's attorney, Richard Della Fera, who told him the last time his client heard from his wife was Friday night, when she left their children with him for the weekend. He also said he has no record of Vilet Torrez calling his phone that morning.

On Monday night, Fera released the following statement:

"We thank the Miramar Police Department for releasing this video and hope that it will help solve the mystery of what happened to Vilet Torrez.  We also thank the Miramar Police Department for confirming what Cid Torrez has previously stated to police; that at no time did he see or have contact with Vilet that night.  This video proves that Vilet returned to the complex at an hour when Cid and the children were sleeping and there is no indication that she ever went home or even entered the house. Moreover, Cid did not receive any phone calls from Vilet and any assertion that Vilet spoke to him is inaccurate speculation.  The time, number and length of the calls suggested by the phone records only show that she attempted to contact Cid at a time when he was asleep.  If someone saw Vilet within the complex at that hour, they need to contact the Miramar Police Department and shed light on where she may have gone and with whom."
Anyone with information is asked to call Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS (8477).

Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.