(CNN) - Russian President Vladimir Putin stripped down to his bathing trunks in freezing temperatures Friday before immersing himself in icy waters to mark the feast of the Epiphany.
Putin bathed in Lake Seliger, around 250 miles north of Moscow, as part of a traditional Orthodox Christian ritual which commemorates the baptism of Jesus.
- Putin urges 'pragmatic cooperation' with US
- Putin files re-election bid as Kremlin critic calls for protests
- Putin critic calls for Russian election protests
- Putin thanks Trump for CIA's help in stopping terror attacks
- Trump initiated Putin call in the wake of economic praise
- Trump, Putin speak by phone
After removing his fur coat and boots, the 65-year-old entered the pool, crossed himself and momentarily placed his head under the freezing water.
The annual ceremony took place after Putin had completed a trip to St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region, followed by a visit to the St. Nilus Stolobensky Monastery in the Tver Region.
Putin's icy dip isn't the first time he has stripped down in public.
Last August he was photographed topless while fishing. In 2009, a photo was taken of him bare-chested while riding a horse on vacation.
Copyright 2018 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.