DAVIE, Fla. – Miami Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry is under investigation for battery.
The investigation of the three-year NFL veteran stems from an incident involving the mother of his daughter that allegedly occurred earlier this year at Landry's Fort Lauderdale apartment.
Dolphins head coach Adam Gase confirmed the investigation after Monday's practice. Andy Slater was first to report the incident.
"Yeah, we're aware of it," Gase told reporters. "We took the proper steps of what we're supposed to do, and past that, I really can't comment on anything."
Gase said Landry has been cooperating with police.
The victim, Estrella Cerqueria, is not cooperating with law enforcement officials.
In a statement Monday, Cerqueria denied any physical incident occurred.
"When the police arrived they determined that there was no cause for any arrests nor was there any concern for my physical well-being," Cerqueria said. "There were no arrests made, there were no criminal charges. I was not in any way physically harmed."
Police forwarded the case to the Broward County state attorney's office. A decision on possible charges is not expected to come this week.
With his current contract set to end after the 2017 season, Landry has been looking to receive a new deal from the Dolphins. However, the receiver said he will end negotiations with the team once the season starts.
Picked in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft out of LSU, Landry has been a star for the Dolphins, posting more than 1,000 yards receiving the last two seasons with 14 total touchdowns.