DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - A woman was killed and three others were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in Daytona Beach after a generator was used inside their house in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, authorities said.
The Daytona Beach Fire Department said it was called at 4:45 a.m. Wednesday to 400 S. Keech St.for several patients who were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
A friend of the victims found a generator inside the house with the door slightly open, fire officials said.
Firefighters found a man and two women unconscious after they were pulled from the home by the friend and Daytona Beach police officers, authorities said.
CPR was performed on the victims, who were taken to a hospital, where one of them was pronounced dead, according to officials. The other two are in critical condition, officials said. Their names have not been released.
The friend, who is 31 years old, was also taken to a hospital and treated for exposure to carbon monoxide, officials said. The officer was also checked for mild exposure.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless poisonous gas that can cause sudden illness and death if too much is inhaled.
"Generators need to be kept outside homes and garages and away from open doors and windows, vents and air intakes," fire officials said in a news release. "If you are running a generator and begin to feel sick, dizzy, light-headed, or experiencing flu-like symptoms, please get fresh air immediately."
The Daytona Beach Fire Department said all homes to be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector, especially if residents are using a generator.
The news comes a day after two adults and a child died in Orange County when a generator was being used inside their Orlando home.
There have been several incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning around Central Florida after Hurricane Irma swept through the state, knocking out power to millions.
Here are some more generator safety tips:
- Generators should only be used in well-ventilated locations outside the home and up to 20 feet away from all doors, windows and vents
- Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open
- Place generators so exhaust fumes can’t enter the home through windows, doors or other openings; the exhaust must be directed away from the building
- Use carbon monoxide alarms in your home
Watch News 6 and stay with ClickOrlando.com for updates.
Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.