KEY LARGO, Fla. -

A 33-foot boat caught fire Thursday behind a house on Jolly Roger Drive in Key Largo, injuring a 58-year-old man.

Robert Doyle told deputies he started the boat just before 9 a.m. and noticed a small flame on the battery, which he tried to put out with a rag. He said the rag caught fire and began to spread, so he dove out the cabin door just as the fire “flashed."

The fire burned him on the leg.

Doyle told deputies he was running the engines because he was planning to sell the boat next week.

Key Largo Fire Department extinguished the blaze. The Fire Marshal will be investigating.

Doyle was taken to Mariner’s Hospital for treatment.