A Florida Power and Light plant, which has stood since 1949, came down Saturday morning.
FPL calls the demolition a great success. They used 160 pounds of explosive in the controlled demolition, which could be seen on Local 10. During the demolition two boilers and two smokestacks were brought down.
Prior to the demolition, the plant was cleaned and there was no hazard to the environment.
At one point, the plant at 14825 SW 67th Avenue provided power for 350,000 customers.
Improvements to surrounding plants, such as Turkey Point made it obsolete in the last few years.