MIAMI - Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, also known as "Dr. Beach" has released his annual list of the top 10 beaches in the United States.
Florida is living up to its reputation this year with three different beaches scoring high.
The top 10 list is as follows:
1. Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y
2. Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida
4. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
5. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
6. Barefoot Beach Preserve County Park, Bonita Springs, Fla.
7. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Fla
8. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, N.C
9. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.
Dr. Leatherman is a professor at Florida International University. His report is based on 50 criteria each year that includes sand softness, rip currents, pollution, lifeguards and safety record. His top 10 list is formed after evaluating 650 beaches across the country.
Copyright 2013 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.