Small fire at Miami Beach movie theater forces evacuation

Fire starts in popcorn machine

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - A smoke alarm that went off at a Miami Beach movie theater sent moviegoers rushing outside of the Regal Cinema on Lincoln Road shortly after 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Miami Beach fire officials said one fire engine was sent to the theater. When firefighters arrived, they found a small fire had started in a popcorn machine.

Employees attempted to put the fire out using a dry chemical extinguisher. The fumes from the extinguisher and the fire sent smoke through the building, causing it to be evacuated.

The theater was still evacuated about 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Fire officials told theater managers the building could not reopen until all fumes from the extinguisher were cleaned from the air-conditioning and the building.

The theater remained closed for the rest of the night.

Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.