Despite all the precautions you take to keep your pet pals safe, accidents do happen. That's why the ASPCA, Humane Society and animal advocates advise pet owners to keep the telephone number of their local veterinarian and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center -- (888) 426-4435 -- in a prominent location.

Common signs of poisoning include muscle tremors or seizures; vomiting and diarrhea; drooling; redness of skin, ears and eyes; and swelling and bleeding.

If you suspect your pet has consumed, inhaled or come in contact with a toxic substance, stay calm and call for help immediately.

You will be asked for the following:

  • Your pet's species, breed, age, sex and weight
  • Exact name of product ingested, inhaled, or absorbed. If possible, have the product's container available
  • How much the animal consumed or came in contact with
  • How long ago did this occur?

If you see your pet consuming anything you think might be toxic, seek emergency help immediately even if she is not exhibiting any symptoms.