MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – Three workers were rushed to a hospital Tuesday after breathing in fumes while working at a fish farming facility in southwest Miami-Dade County.
It happened at a facility on Epmore Drive operated by a company called Atlantic Sapphire.
Officials said the maintenance workers were working on a tank when they were overwhelmed by the fumes they were breathing in.
911 was called and the men were taken to Homestead Hospital, where all three are in serious condition.
Sky 10 was above the scene around 12:30 p.m. as the victims were placed into an awaiting Fire Rescue truck.
“The company was in there — in one of these tanks that they use to raise fish — doing routine maintenance, and there was some type of fume that was released that they were overcome by,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Division Chief Jason Richard. “This was a large operation that’s pretty routine for them, so they had safety teams on standby and personnel monitoring like they’re supposed to.”
Fire rescue said representatives from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration were called out to conduct their own investigation.