WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Rick Scott joined U.S. Reps. Maria Elvira Salazar, Carlos Giménez, and Byron Donalds during a news conference on Wednesday afternoon in Washington, D.C.
Salazar and Giménez had already held a news conference with U.S. Rep. Mario Díaz-Balart on Wednesday morning to call for Raúl Castro to be brought to justice in the U.S.
“This was premeditated murder of three Americans and one U.S. resident,” Díaz-Balart said.
During an event on Wednesday at the Freedom Tower in downtown Miami, Acting U.S. Attorney General Todd Blanch announced there was a warrant for Raúl Castro’s arrest after an indictment for the fatal 1996 shootdown of two Brothers to the Rescue planes at sea.
“It is justice delayed, but at least it’s justice,” Giménez said.
Before the second news conference, Salazar said there was still a lot to be done in Cuba, which she said was “the epicenter of evil in the western hemisphere,” and added that the communists in power were “thugs.”
Salazar said she supported President Donald Trump if he decided to treat Castro just as he treated former Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who was captured in Caracas and was behind bars in New York.
“All of the problems we have in Latin America start with the Cuban regime,” Scott said.
Watch their speeches
SCOTT
SALAZAR
GIMENEZ
DONALDS
Related stories
- U.S. indictment charges former Cuban President Raúl Castro with 7 counts
- Watch the speeches during Raul Castro indictment announcement at Freedom Tower
- Cuban exiles at Freedom Tower react to Raúl Castro indictment
- Cuban exiles at Miami’s Cafe Versailles react to Raul Castro indictment news: ‘All for it’
- South Florida Republicans make case for Castro indictment
- Rubio releases message in Spanish to Cubans suffering on the island
- Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel reacts to Raúl Castro’s indictment
Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.

