PLANTATION, Fla. – Plantation Fire Rescue responded to a 911 call about someone who was unresponsive inside a hotel room at the La Quinta Inn at 8101 South Peters Road in Plantation on Saturday, a little after 11 a.m.
Fire Rescue arrived and found someone who was dead inside the room due to a possible overdose.
Officials said they discovered that the unit was being run as a possible Meth lab.
As a result, the hotel was evacuated for safety reasons.
“I was on the second floor walking this morning and a cop was there for the longest time and I said, ‘What’s going on?’ And he said, ‘There is a death and that is all I can say,’” Stephen Goldberg said, who was staying at the hotel at the time.
Sunrise Fire Rescue’s Hazmat team along with the Broward Sheriff’s Fire Rescue Hazmat team also responded to the scene to assist with figuring out what they were going to do due to the hazardous and illicit lab inside.
“I just saw a body of a white guy on the ground. I didn’t see a face. He was lying on the ground and there was a couple of police in the room and a cop outside by the door,” Goldberg said.
Plantation Fire Rescue spokesperson Aston Bright said Saturday that the meth was still cooking inside the units, so officials couldn’t take out the chemicals right away.
“This was a more crude operation, more than likely for personal use type deal, so it wasn’t like an industrial-scale operation,” Bright said.
Late Saturday night, the building was deemed safe and guests were allowed to return to their rooms.
The investigation is ongoing.