Coral Gables man sentenced to 5 years in baby monkey torture video case, feds say

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — A 36-year-old Coral Gables man was sentenced to five years in federal prison on Thursday for his role in online groups dedicated to distributing videos depicting extreme violence and sexual abuse involving monkeys, the U.S. Department of Justice announced in a news release Friday.

Federal prosecutors said Javier Ravelo pleaded guilty in March to distributing more than 40 “animal crush videos” in violation of the federal Animal Crushing statute.

According to investigators, Ravelo owned and administered several invitation-only online chat groups focused on sharing and discussing graphic videos showing monkeys being mutilated and tortured.

Prosecutors said he controlled access to the groups and acted as a “leader and organizer.”

The news release states that a judge sentenced Ravelo to 60 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release. During that time, he is prohibited from having unsupervised contact with animals.

The court described the material as “evil” and said the sentence was intended to show that “in society we will not tolerate this kind of material being distributed in any way, shape, or form,” according to the DOJ.

“The production and distribution of obscene animal crush videos is a felony,” Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Adam Gustafson said in a statement. “In passing the Animal Crushing statute, Congress recognized that cruelty to animals desensitizes participants to the suffering of human beings.”

Acting Special Agent in Charge Matt Wright of Homeland Security Investigations New Orleans said investigators pursued Ravelo despite efforts to conceal the activity through private online groups.

“Even when offenders use advanced technology and exclusive, invitation-only groups to hide their illegal activities, HSI will relentlessly pursue them and ensure they are held accountable,” Wright said.

Federal prosecutors previously said the videos depicted animals being “purposely crushed, burned, drowned, suffocated, impaled, or otherwise subjected to serious bodily injury.”

According to his arrest report, Ravelo used the Telegram username “Tony (expletive) Montana.” The University of Miami graduate and former Air Force contractor had been free on a $100,000 bond while awaiting sentencing.

Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.

About The Author
Ryan Mackey

Ryan Mackey

Ryan Mackey is a Digital Journalist at WPLG. He was born on Long Island, New York, and has lived in Sunrise, Florida, since 1994.