Defense for ex-UM football player drops bombshell in trial for murder of teammate Bryan Pata

Opening statements delayed

Attorneys drop bombshell as Bryan Pata murder trial set to get underway

MIAMI — Defense attorneys for Rashaun Jones dropped a bombshell Tuesday morning before opening statements were set to get underway in his trial for the murder of former Miami Hurricanes football player Bryan Pata.

Leer en español

Jones has been in jail for the past four years, accused of killing Pata, his 22-year-old teammate on the Canes, on Nov. 7, 2006 in Kendall.

Attorneys for the 40-year-old Jones presented what they said is new evidence they received on Friday, referencing an investigation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement that they say involves a special agent, a confidential witness and a potential confession, all related to a hitman and Haitian gangs that they believe intersect with the victim.

“It includes specific language discussing what this confession said where he said, ‘I just killed that kid from the University of Miami,’” attorney Christian Maroni told the judge. “So now we have a specific statement linking that confession to the murder of Bryan Pata.”

Attorneys said they discovered the evidence late Friday. Prosecutors said they, too, received the evidence on Friday and called it “hearsay.”

Judge Cristina Miranda said she could not make a ruling without reviewing the evidence further and sent jurors out for an early lunch with a plan to return at 12:45 p.m.

“In this case, I think it is worth getting to the bottom of it because I think it could change the status, right now, of the trial and it is not prudent to move ahead with the openings just as of yet,” Miranda said.

The defense has since stated that the deposition of the special agent involved in the ICE investigation has been scheduled for 2 p.m. Tuesday.

Miranda released the jurors and told them to return on Wednesday.

Jones maintains his innocence in the case.

Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.

About The Author
Christina Vazquez

Christina Vazquez

Christina returned to Local 10 in 2019 as a reporter after covering Hurricane Dorian for the station. She is an Edward R. Murrow Award-winning journalist and previously earned an Emmy Award while at WPLG for her investigative consumer protection segment "Call Christina."

Chris Gothner

Chris Gothner

Chris Gothner joined the Local 10 News team in 2022 as a Digital Journalist.